In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.(Proverbs 16:9, NIV)
Many of us thinks that when we have an objective, a plan and if we really work towards it, we will fulfill it. This verse speaks otherwise, we may plan a thousand steps to reach a goal but if God has another destiny for us, there will be strife and incongruencies in our spirit. The deeper we are with our Father, the clearer our vision will be as His for our life. It is a journey of learning and God is faithful to see us through. He is the Author and finisher of our faith.
The two meaning that i have written below shows the distinction between plan and determine therefore showing God's sovereignty. I hold on to this verse as a reminder of who I am in Christ and in seeking His will for my life.
1. A scheme, program, or method worked out beforehand for the accomplishment of an objective
2. A proposed or tentative project or course of action: had no plans for the evening.
3. A systematic arrangement of elements or important parts; a configuration or outline: a seating plan; the plan of a story.
1. To decide or settle (a dispute, for example) conclusively and authoritatively.
2. To establish or ascertain definitely, as after consideration, investigation, or calculation.
3.To cause (someone) to come to a conclusion or resolution.
4. To give direction to
"He who is of a proud heart stirs up strife, But he who trusts in the Lord will be prospered. He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, But whoever walks wisely will be delivered" (Proverbs 28:25,26).
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths" (Proverbs 3:5,6).